Beware listeners: This episode contains a discussion of a few English swearwords, so if you are listening with kids please skip the first 20 minutes.
And on to what's in this show:
Language Stories: Lindsay has a new podcast, reporting back from her adventures around the language landscapes of cities like Montréal, New York, and more.
Even after 20 years of English, I still don't know all the words. We discuss an English slang word that was news to me.
Tip: The Psychology of Rewards
We discussed why and how you can reward yourself when you reach those study goals.
Language Learning Misconceptions
Here's the list we discussed on the show:
- Children learn their first language effortlessly
- Younger learners learn languages more easily than older learners
- Intelligent people are better at learning languages
- Immersion is the best way to learn a language
- Grammar study is detrimental to second-language acquisition
- Learning a second language hinders the development of the first language
- Once a child can speak a language, the language-learning process is complete
Consider: All these ideas and beliefs are widespread, but none of them are true when taken at face value!
- List of common misconceptions about language learning - Wikipedia
- Stephen Krashen on Language Learning in the Polyglot Community — 1. Comprehensible input 2. Patience 3. No forced production (this is SO very much where schools go wrong)
- What does choad mean? choad Definition. Meaning of choad. OnlineSlangDictionary.com
- But WHY!!! Would You Learn a Language? Is Learning a Language Useful? by Fluent Language
- New Podcast: Becky Morales on Perfect Pronunciation and Having 4 Bilingual Kids by Fluent Language
- ‘We’re told we’re anti-Welsh bigots and fascists’ – the storm over Welsh-first schooling | Education | The Guardian
- Ignore the Guardian: A bilingual education is best for our children – Nation.Cymru
- Language Stories — Lindsay's new podcast
- Savage Lovecast
- Amazon.com: Second Language Acquisition Myths: Applying Second Language Research to Classroom Teaching (9780472034987): Steven Brown, Jenifer Larson-Hall: Books
- Halloween III: Season of the Witch (1982) - IMDb