Self-care, backstop, vegan, glamping, problematic - those are evocative words and they have the power to sum up a whole year.
Join us as we delve into a selection of wonderful words of the year from many languages, figure out what “self care” even means, and discuss the ban on plastic straws.
Dive into this week's extra long link selection to find out more about the many words of the year we covered from Great Britain, Australia, the USA, Japan (it's a kanji!), France, Portugal, and Germany.
(I demonstrated some ignorance about the colours of the Jamaican flag 🇯🇲 and have educated myself since then. There is no red in that flag! My apologies.)
- 'Single-use' named 2018 word of the year | Books | The Guardian
- » Nominations for 2017 Word of the Year posted American Dialect Society
- Duden | Wort und Unwort des Jahres in Deutschland
- Word of the year (Germany) - Wikipedia
- Macquarie Dictionary 2017 words of the year
- Linguee | Dictionary for German, French, Spanish, and more
- Google's Year in Search - Google Trends
- The Language Show | For language learners, language teachers and everyone who loves languages
- Mot de l'année 2018
- Dossier Woorden van het jaar | Genootschap Onze Taal | Onze Taal