It's January, time for new year's resolutions and long weeks waiting for pay cheques.
If you're finding yourself motivated but broke this month, don't worry! I've got your back because this week I'm answering the question:
What are ways to immerse in the language without traveling or spending a heap of money for studies?
Immersion was one of my KEY words for 2018, and that's not just because of the amazing language retreats I've been able to teach. A language retreat is quite an experience - life-changing time spent loving and learning languages in your target country. Who wouldn't want that? (By the way, sign up here if you do want that.)
But let's get real. You may not be able to travel easily. You may not have the budget for a retreat. None of this means you have to miss out on language immersion
Consider Your Investment In Studies
Follow this checklist if you're getting ready for a new language learning project:
- Budget time as well as money
- Research what you buy
- Get online lessons
- Use what you buy, with your time or your money
Try an Immersion Day
Let's face it, nothing is quite the same as walking down the street in another country and experiencing the history and culture of that place all around you. But with these tips, you can design your own mini-immersion today for very little money.
- Watch TV? Look no further than YouTube
- Read online? Try LingQ
- Listen to music? Use TuneIn Radio or Spotify
- Want to chat to people? italki, Skype, and local connections have you covered
- Go on social media? Create lists or dedicated accounts
- Cook? Try a recipe or instruction video in your target language
Thank you to Bonnie for this episode introduction.
Submit your own intro with an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Support This Podcast
Like all podcasts, the Fluent Show is supported by your online reviews and word of mouth.
If you liked this episode, please tell someone about it. Click here to tweet about the show, go to your Podcasts app and leave us a review, or simply text a friend about the Fluent Show. Thank you!
- Social Media for Language Learning: Tips for Twitter, Pinterest and Hashtags by Fluent Language
- My Challenge Results & 17 Tips For Language Learning on Social Media by Fluent Language
- German 2019: German Course for Beginners — Sign up here to be alerted when the course opens up
- YouTube video: Kerstin at the Polyglot Gathering 2016 — What You Need To Know Before Spending Money On Language Learning
- italki - the place to find online tutors in any language
- A Complete Review of the HelloTalk Language Exchange App by Fluent Language
- Inside The Tandem Language Exchange App: A Full Review by Fluent Language
- Lingq - Reading in another language
- @perfectlyimparfaitfluency • Instagram photos and videos