Putting the World to Rights with Olly Richards from IWTYAL
December 7th, 2014
59 mins 25 secs
About this Episode
You wanna learn a language? Then I've got the guy for you! In today's podcast episode, I'm speaking with Olly Richards, the man behind I Will Teach You a Language. Olly is an expat Brit with a lot of travel experience under his belt, and his considered and smart answers really put me to shame.
You Will Learn More About:
- Our Dreams of how Education can Make the Language Learning World so much Better
- What to Look Out for When Taking a Teaching Qualification
- How to Make Motivation Work
- What Beginners should Read - and why reading Children's Books is not a good idea
- Why Olly Advises that you DON'T Track Your Progress
Articles of the Week
Most Language Students unable to do more than understand Basic Phrases on the UK Guardian
The Best Way to Learn a Language is the Opposite of the Usual Way on Forbes
Tips of the Week
Out of the following fabulous three tips, Olly chose number 2 as his favourite tip - not without a lot of careful consideration though!
1) Use online self-tests as check-ins, not tutorials
2) "Makers Classroom", like at Raw Learning - follow foreign recipes, sewing patterns, directions?
3) Join Parleremo, a virtual town that teaches languages
Tips and Links from this Podcast
Support this Podcast through Patreon - from just $1!
The 60 Second Fluency Test by Olly Richards
My Article that Sparked some Polyglot Debate
Der Weg zum Lesen, simple German short stories
Le Petit Nicolas et Les Copains, fun story in simple French
French Comic Books for Language Learners
Thanks for reading this article on Fluent, the Language Learning Blog. If you are feeling stuck right now, why not subscribe to Fluent and check out our language book shop.