What It Takes to Become a Professional Tutor
July 20th, 2020
31 mins 45 secs
About this Episode
This week's listener question comes from Lee, a new online tutor looking for guidance on the difference between community and professional tutoring on italki.
After working at italki as a community tutor, I want to branch out and become a professional tutor. My lessons are extremely structured and informative although I am not a professional teacher so I was wondering as to whether or not I should move to a professional tutor. I think typically professional teachers are seen to be more prepared and knowledgeable. I’m not too sure to be honest. I just know that I love online education!
- What does it mean to act like a professional as a tutor?
- How good do you have to be at a language before you can teach it?
- Why are there community and professional tutors on italki?
- What qualification do you need to get their professional status?
- How can you start going full-time as a professional online language teacher?
Thank you to Gosia for this episode introduction.
- How do I become an italki teacher? – italki Help and Support
- Live Lesson Strategies for Online Teachers and Tutors
- The Fluent Show: Good Lessons vs. GREAT Lessons: Life’s Too Short Not to Find a Great Tutor
- What types of certification or credentials are required for a Professional Teaching Profile? – italki Help and Support
- Facebook Group: Fluent Language Learners
- Beyond 1:1 — Slides for my workshop from the Teach & Thrive Summit
- italki: Learn a language online
- Kinyarwanda alphabet, pronunciation and language