What To Do When You Fail To Reach Your Goals
September 10th, 2018
1 hr 2 mins 17 secs
About this Episode
After our live episode for number 100, we're rolling 'back to school' and reviewing summer motivation and new routines before cracking on with our topics this month.
In The News
We discussed this BBC news article about a pedantic (?) rule in French grammar...and who's trying to get rid of it. The language, ever changing, but who thought THIS untouchable rule would be questioned?
How To Refresh Your Language Learning Goals
In this episode we focused on the big topic of goals. Do you EVER get everything done that you aim to do in language learning?
Here's what we discussed
- How we think about achieving or failing to achieve our own language goals
- What the word for "failing to achieve" should be (call me maybe, Merriam-Webster)
- The hidden information you only get from a failed language goal
- The two sides of reviewing language goals on deadline day: data and motivation
- 6 Strategies for refreshing your language learning goals and dealing with disappointment
- What is a good tracking method to make sure you actually work on your goals?
- Whether to re-set or abandon a goal if you didn't achieve it
A Song For When You Wonder If Your Progress Will Disappear Because You Didn't Reach A Goal
Right where you left it
But it still changes
Ever so slightly
Daily and nightly
In little ways
When everything stays
And here's a wonderfully helpful quote from Ira Glass
Ira Glass on Storytelling from David Shiyang Liu on Vimeo.
And finally, more life advice from "Adventure Time"
- Consternation over suggested French grammar change - BBC News
- The Fluent Show: "Ultramarathon for the Brain" (Bilingual Podcast with Judith Meyer) — Bilingual Podcast German / English
- 7 Productivity Apps to Start Using Right Now - Lindsay Does Languages
- The Fluent Show: Living And Speaking French Just Like In France — Bilingual Podcast English / French
- Losing Motivation is Not Failing: 4 Smart Tips for Positive Language Learning by Fluent Language
- Research every teacher should know: growth mindset | Teacher Network | The Guardian
- 5 Steps for Planning a Productive and Successful Language Learning Week by Fluent Language
- How to enjoy Language Learning more by being lousy at it by Fluent Language
- clearthelist — A monthly round-up of language learners sharing and reviewing their goals
- Nailing Time Management - Lindsay Does Languages
- Insecurities of a Language Learner (+ how to overcome them) - Lindsay Does Languages
- How to Organise Language Learning At Festive Times (+ Benefits of a Forced Break If Things Don't Go to Plan) - Lindsay Does Languages
- Adventure Time – Everything Stays Lyrics | Genius Lyrics