“If we can produce proficient, correct language, it seems all is great no matter how we feel about it.”
My guest for this week’s podcast is María Ortega Garcia, who you will get to know well during the course of our interview.
María is a rebel. She encourages you not to break the rules, but to look beyond the rules.
Here are some questions we discussed:
- How could you play with a language you love?
- Who owns the rules of a language?
- Can we see beyond the need to be correct, to achieve a higher level of connection and an authentic self-expression?
- Does being so touchy-feely mean we'll miss all our goals?
This was a fascinating conversation about permission, ownership, and what we think we’re all allowed to do in another language. It helped me understand my role as language coach and language teacher in a whole new way.
“It doesn’t need to have any specific goal or purpose. It’s just pleasure and self-expression.”
“For me, a foreign language has to come along with my own personality and background. I can’t be following someone else’s rules.”
Workshop: Creative Writing, Public Speaking and Performance
I want to let you know as early as possible that María and I are actually taking this one step further. We have been working on a joint language workshop inviting you to explore how creative writing and performance find your voice and courage to speak and elevate your communication skills.
If you struggle to express your true self in another language, and wish you could find the right words for how you feel, this new workshop is just perfect for you.
You can catch this workshop at Langfest in Montréal (tickets available now, 15% off using code KERSTIN).
Support This Podcast
Like all podcasts, the Fluent Show is supported by your online reviews and word of mouth.
If you liked this episode, please tell someone about it. Click here to tweet about the show, go to your Podcasts app and leave us a review, or simply text a friend about the Fluent Show. Thank you!
- How To Create An Amazing Language Journal by Fluent Language
- LangFest 2019 — Get 15% off with promo code KERSTIN
- The Fluent Show: How Can I Inject FUN Into Language Learning (with Olly Richards)
- Savvy Online Teacher Marketing - Facebook Group
- Creative Writing, Performance, and Public Speaking - Workshop Info