You say "either" and I say "either"
You say "neither" I say "neither"
"Either" "either", "neither" "neither"
Let's call the whole thing off
George & Ira Gershwin
This week on the Fluent Show, I'm answering a listener question about accents.
- What is an accent?
- Can your accent change even though you're not trying?
- Is it possible to learn a different accent?
- Can you get an accent by listening to podcasts? ...and more mysteries!
Listen to the episode to hear my answers to these questions and find out why my approach when speaking a foreign language is like this:
DO learn pronunciation (IPA if you like)
DON’T worry about your accent
Thank you to Antonio for this episode introduction.
Want to read my full show notes?
If you want to get more details and full notes for this episode and all the solo episodes of the Fluent Show, head to Patreon and back this podcast for any amount of your choice.
Where do you listen?
Take a photo of where you're listening to the Fluent Show and share it on social media to say hello! Here's where you can tag me:
- Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/thefluentshow
- Instagram: http://instagram.com/kerstin_fluent/ and #thefluentshow
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/fluentlanguage
- Teach & Thrive Summit 2020 — Get your ticket in time for 24 June
- Ask-A-Linguist: What is an Accent? – The LINGUIST List
- LINGUIST List Home Page about Accents
- Lingthusiasm • Lingthusiasm Episode 12: Sounds you can’t hear -...
- The Fluent Show | Patreon
- Language and Identities - Google Books
- You Say Potato : A Book About Accents: Ben Crystal: 9781447276661: hive.co.uk
- The Fluent Show: A Statement About Racism
- Show Racism the Red Card
- Home - Black Lives Matter
- The Fluent Show: "French is Romantic, Arabic Is Aggressive"...Does Culture Stop Us from Learning Languages?