Ahh, kids these days, all learning Korean on TikTok! Or was it Italian by input method? In this episode, Lindsay and Kerstin went into the fascinating world of language trends.
In this episode:
- How we tried to find out which languages are trending
- Which languages are so hot right now
- Which language learning trends are floating around out there
- The despacito effect, copyright Lindsay Williams
- The Gangnam Squid effect?
Where do you listen?
Take a photo of where you're listening to the Fluent Show and share it on social media to say hello! Here's where you can tag me:
- Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/thefluentshow
- Instagram: http://instagram.com/kerstin_fluent/ and #thefluentshow
- The Tipping Point - Wikipedia
- How to spot a trend? #michellesLEARNINGmeal - YouTube
- The Fluent Show: "French is Romantic, Arabic Is Aggressive"...Does Culture Stop Us from Learning Languages?
- What makes a language attractive – its sound, national identity or familiarity? | Languages | The Guardian
- Through the Language Glass — bookshop.org (affiliate link)
- Which languages did the UK study in lockdown? | British Council
- The Tyranny Of Rosegold | Nanosphere
- British Council Language Trends Report 2021
- 2020 Duolingo Language Report
- 2020 Duolingo Language Report: United Kingdom
- Drops | Free language learning | Available for 43+ Languages — Thank you to Drops and MVP Steph for sending us interesting data
- K wave: Squid Game puts Korean top of language learners’ lists
- K-beauty, hallyu and mukbang: dozens of Korean words added to Oxford English Dictionary | South Korea | The Guardian