Welcome to Episode 28, a fun collection of language learning news. Lindsay and I shared our progress in Japanese and Welsh, read out wonderful listener feedback, and finally moved on to 3 big news items.
What's it like when your language changes to express who you are?
The episode features an interview with J from Compassionate Language Learner who identifies as gender-neutral and has some fabulous things to say about the topic.
- Swedish introduces "hen" pronoun
- Oxford Dictionary introduces "Mx" as a new honorific
- Fluent's Quick Guide to Language Blogging for Beginners
See The World in a New Way with Emoji
An emoji is ‘word of the year’, but is it even a word? Is this good? * Emoji word of the year
African Languages Aren’t English
The East African Council has just switched its lead language from English to Kiswahili.
We love hearing from you!
Tips of the Week
Lindsay’s tip is using the Interlinear books method of learning a language.
Only two tips in this episode: 1) Make weekly commitment meet-ups such as going to exercise classes with a language buddy 2) Discover Binaural songs and Interlinear Books
And Even More Interesting Links!
- List of Placeholder Expressions by Language
- Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close
- The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness