Words in the Wild: Equality and Tea
I've been out in the wild, seeing and discussing words in the English language, and in this episode I presented the best of them to Lindsay to discuss what they can reveal about us and about society.
First, we discussed social justice words. What really IS mansplaining? Is it just a word to describe any occasion when a man explains something to a woman? Or is there more to it?
What do you think of the social justice words like hepeating, mansplaining, manel, and the responding #notallmen and broflakes?
And our second word in the wild was tea - short and sweet, but is this even translateable?
Even though this is not Lindsay's average October of falling leaves and dropping temperatures, we took a deep dive into the season to discuss how you can get motivated for learning a language in autumn/fall.
Plus, we've got some absolute evergreen tips mixed in for you to help anyone learning a language by themselves. Learning a language by yourself is not always easy, and motivation is a huge challenge. There are so many interesting and exciting ways to get going, so here are some of our best:
You can read our full list of motivation tips in detail at www.fluentlanguage.co.uk/blog/podcast-episode-67
Little tip: Try our sponsor Clozemaster as your new app addiction. Get it done in the morning, and you'll be set for the day.
- Hepeating: When men say what you just said but louder
- Tower Bridge (London, England): Top Tips Before You Go (with Photos) - TripAdvisor
- Creative Language Learning Podcast: Learn A Language with TV: How to Get The Most Out of Watching TV in Your Target Language
- Quora: In the Polish language, the word for tea, herbata, is neither derived from cha nor tee. Are there any other languages like that? - Quora
- How to Stay Motivated in Language Learning (Even When You're Not Feeling It) by Fluent Language
- Talk the Talk – A weekly show about linguistics, the science of language, on RTRFM 92.1
- There's a new kind of snowflake in town: the 'Broflake'
- Yogi Tea — IS THIS EVEN TEA??
- Maslow's hierarchy of needs - Wikipedia
- What Is the Hawthorne Effect?
- How to enjoy Language Learning more by being lousy at it by Fluent Language — Discussing the Growth Mindset and how it helps language learners